A word of advice; How to safely shop online
This week, news was dominated by the fact that Dutch consumers were scammed for 5 million euros by buying products via social media at fake web shops. Obviously, online shopping fraud is causing a lot of trouble for online shoppers and shop owners alike. But what is online shopping fraud? And how can consumers recognize a reliable web store?
Online shopping scams involve scammers pretending to be legitimate online sellers, either with a fake website or a fake ad on a genuine retailer site.
Below, we have set up a top 10 with tips for consumers to recognize the fake web shops:
- Take a good look at the URL (link of the website). If you are looking for A-brand products, make sure you double check the website where you make the purchase. You can be scammed by websites using similar URL’s. You think you buy from the original store, but the link is slightly different.
- What is the address of the webshop? Try looking it up on Google Maps.
- Is there a phone number available?
- Unbelievable discounts? Be warned! If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.
- Is there a Pay Back & Money Back guarantee?
- Does the webshop offer a good service if the parcel doesn’t arrive due to delivery failures?
- What service is in place when you want to return your product?
- Is there a button of a reliable Trustmark displayed on the site? If so, verify this membership in the list provided on the website of the Trustmark as well.
- What do other customers write about the webshop on e.g. Facebook or verified review websites?
- Make use of your credit card when completing your check out! You might have a credit card purchase protection insurance.
Tips for online shop owners
In addition to the 10 tips for customers, it’s equally very important for business owners that criminals do not abuse your brand. Some tips & tricks from a business perspective provided below:
- Make sure your brand is not being misused on Google Ads. Google follows the rules of local trademark laws. This means that once you have registered your trademark within a certain region, no others can use your brand name in ads.
- Search for your own brand via several search engines. With this approach you can quickly find other webshops using your name.
Here at Blue Field, we would love to help your business grow by realizing an optimal marketplace for you and your customers.